Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Jason has five more months of medical school, and only a few more months until our lives fall into the hands of "the match". Here's how it works:
1. Jason applies to a lot of programs (September)
2. He gets interview offers and goes on interviews (December-January)
3. We rank all of the programs he has interviewed at in number order where we would like to go, and the programs rank all the people they interviewed (February)
4. The National Resident Match Program uses a matching algorithm to put students into programs based on everyone's rank lists (March)
5. We get a letter telling us where we will live for the next five years (March 16)
It is just a little concerning to me that our future lies in the hands of a math algorithm. But I figure, if we can live in Iowa of all places and love it, then I think we would be happy most anywhere.
Jason is in Pennsylvania and New York right now and I am really hoping he can somehow drive through Scranton. It would make my week.
And Jason, I cracked open a can of your Mountain Dew tonight... something I would never do if you were in the same state as me.
And Drew says, "wuv wuv."